Pillars Of Nutrition Psychiatry

By: Monalisha Gantayat

9 Sep 2021

In recent years, the emerging field of nutritional psychiatry has focused on how dietary shifts and the right nutrients can benefit mental health. It can support memory, limit sensitivity to reduce migraines, and turn a bad mood around. Understanding the pillars of nutritional psychiatry is the first step towards achieving optimal mental well-being as the brain functions best when it gets optimal fuel.

Nutritional psychiatry is based on the following major pillars to use food as medicine for mental health:

    Optimizing metabolism

Carbohydrate metabolism disorder, insulin resistance, or prediabetes restrict your brain from accessing the energy that it requires for its proper drive. Unfortunately, these are more common infirmities than you might think.

You can support your metabolism by focusing on the right foods and nutrients. Shifting to a supportive diet can aid in improving your mental health and balancing blood sugar.

    Moving from potentially harmful foods to nutritious ones

You need to rebuild your diet with whole foods by

-         eliminating processed foods

-         eating more proteins

-         following intermittent fasting protocols for improved cognitive function

Replace the foods in your diet that could potentially harm your brain (like sugar, flour, refined cereal products, and vegetable oils) with whole foods like green vegetables, nuts, seeds, whole grains, etc. One must follow the 80/20 rule - 80% of your diet should be based on whole, natural foods with plenty of fiber and the remaining 20% permit you some flexibility.

    Picking foods that support brain health

Ensure that your brain has all the building blocks for its development and the chemicals required to run the mental system properly. You need to shift to the foods that provide those required nutrients to the brain without any restriction and side effects because certain nutrients may exist in your diet but may not be reaching the systems. 

An expert can tell you about bioavailability or the body's capacity to absorb nutrients from food and strategically optimize your meals to absorb nutrients better, for instance, combining fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, K) in rich food with fats (avocado, olive oil).

Since the brain is an integral part of overall health, you need to optimize your diet to support your mental health. The technology-based assistance that Fitza provides helps you achieve balanced mental health with sustainable dietary and lifestyle changes.

Fitza’s Support for a Balanced Lifestyle

Start your journey of a balanced lifestyle with physical and emotional stability with Fitza's innovative technology and intelligent recommendations. Personalized nutritional plans based on Indian traditional cuisine can lead to a healthy lifestyle and dietary discipline, thus, a more fulfilling life.

What you will get with Fitza

        Expert-approved healthy concoctions

        Wellness program to elevate mental health

        Get personalized day-to-day nutritional plans based on Indian traditional cuisine to reach your independent goals

        Traditional and International pocket guides 24/7

        Health Kundali to recommend on lifestyle habits for respective Doshas - Vata, Kapha, and Pitta

        Webinars/Live sessions/ Clubhouse room meets to personally discuss on Chronic health conditions and holistic well-being And much more.